Here are my five reasons why I decided to make The Band of Cousins a different series:
- So the cast of characters will not be overwhelming for new readers. One of the complaints I often receive is that I have too many characters in my books. Huge casts of characters can often cause confusion for a reader. You won’t be visiting the entire clan in one book, though certain favorites will pop up occasionally.
- New life, new purpose. I wanted to focus on these seven characters: Maggie, Gavin, Gregor, David, Connor, Roddy, and Braden. I want to focus on how they work together toward a common goal instead of the usual skirmishes.
- Build on their strengths. You know the characters. They will come into their own if they step away from their famous families.
- To build another core couple. My readers are pretty much in agreement that their favorite couple is still Alex and Maddie. After 25 books, that is amazing. 🙂 But I wanted to take a shot at making another couple as strong as the first. Enter Maggie Ramsay and Will, the Wild Falconer. What do you think?
- Similarities. It will be a challenge to bring each of the seven characters to adulthood. I still have the best readers in the world, and they love my characters. I couldn’t dismiss the ones growing up. Of this group, five of them are within a year of 18. Sounds like fun, doesn’t it? I thought so!
So a little of the old, and a lot new…that’s my goal.